Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports (PBIS) is a framework that teaches and reinforces school-wide behavior expectations to all students in all settings. By pre-teaching expected behaviors, we can intervene early, often, and with purpose to prevent behaviors rather than punish. Using data to support our interventions, we continually monitor our student progress to reflect on improvements or celebrate successes.
Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports (PBIS) is a framework that has the following elements:
- Teaching and reinforcing school-wide behavior expectations to all students in all settings (this is the matrix)
- Intervening early, often, and with a purpose. The focus is prevention, not punishment.
- A multi-tiered system of supports (see diagram above )
- Implementation of evidence-based practices and interventions
- Ongoing monitoring of student progress
Walden Positive Behavior Supports
National PBIS Resources
Read more about positive behavioral interventions and supports.